My family loves to have a sweet delicious slice of pumpkin roll first thing Thanksgiving morning with a cup of coffee or a hot chocolate. It can be tempting to buy one from the store, but I promise you this easy cream cheese pumpkin roll recipe is so simple and delicious, once you try it once — you’ll never go back to store bought again!
The ingredients for this recipe are also simple but packed full of pumpkin flavor. If you’re a fan of pecans, adding them is optional and gives this classic pumpkin roll an extra fall flavor.
The first step after gathering your ingredients is to prepare a 10 x 15 Jelly Roll Pan. (I prefer the Doughmakers Jelly Roll Pan because they cook evenly and clean up well. If you don’t already own a jelly roll pan, I would highly recommend this one.)
To prepare the pan, cut a piece of parchment paper to fit the bottom of the pan then lightly grease the pan, add the parchment paper, and lightly grease the parchment paper. Tip – A non-stick spray works the best and covers evenly.
Next, measure your dry ingredients into a large bowl and use a whisk to blend.
Once your dry ingredients are well mixed, add your wet ingredients and using a stand mixer (or hand mixer) on the lowest setting blend until well combined. Spread the batter into your jelly roll pan evenly and bake for approximately 15 minutes. The cake should be slightly browned, begin to pull away from the edges of the pan, and be a bit spongy to the touch.
While the cake is baking, prepare a lint-free cloth like a large cloth dinner napkin or tea towel by sprinkling the cloth evenly with powdered sugar using a small baking sifter. Once the cake is done turn the cake out onto the cloth while hot and roll the cake into the cloth to cool completely.
While the cake is cooling, prepare your cream cheese filling and set aside until needed. Once the cake has completely cooled in the rolled cloth, gently unroll the cake and spread the filling over the cake as evenly as possible before rolling the cake into shape.
Once you roll the cake into its final shape, wrap with parchment and plastic wrap and cool overnight in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, unwrap the pumpkin roll and sprinkle with more powdered sugar before slicing. Enjoy!
Easy Cream Cheese Pumpkin Roll
Pumpkin Roll Batter
- 1 Cup Granulated Cane Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Pumpkin Puree
- 3/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 3 Lg Eggs
- 1 Tbs Pumpkin Pie Spice (Optional)
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
Cream Cheese Filling
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 8 Ounces Cream Cheese (softened to room temperature)
- 2 Tbs Butter (softened to room temperature)
- 1 1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Pecans (optional)
For the Pumpkin Cake
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare a 10x15 jelly roll pan by cutting a piece of parchment to fit the bottom of the pan. Lightly grease the pan, add the parchment, then lightly grease the parchment. Set the pan aside. (Non-stick spray works the best.)
- Combine sugar, flour, baking soda, and pumpkin pie spice in a stand mixer or medium size bowl.
- Add your remaining ingredients (pumpkin puree and eggs) and mix on low speed until combined.
- Spread the cake batter evenly into the prepared jelly roll pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, sprinkle a lint-free towel or napkin with powdered sugar with a small bakers sifter.
- After removing from the oven, turn the warm cake out onto the prepared towel, remove the parchment paper, and roll the cake into the towel to cool completely on a wire rack.
Cream Cheese Filling and Completing the Pumpkin Roll
- While the cake is cooling, add all of the filling ingredients in a stand mixer or hand mixer and combine well. Set aside.
- Once the cake is competely cool, unroll the cake and spread the filling evenly over the cake.
- Roll the cake into its final shape and wrap the roll in parchment and plastic wrap. Refridgerate overnight.
- Before serving, remove the wrapping and sprinkle with more powered sugar before cutting.
? Don’t forget to Pin it!